Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super-Duper Tuesday

Oh my. I am not sure what to think. Not one candidate meets my personal standards - or even comes close - this time around. I feel vaguely ill at the thought of any of the current Republicans being in charge, and downright terrified for our country with ANY of the Dems winning.

Of course, it matters little in the final analysis. Upstate is actually quite conservative in many areas, but we get generally get sucked into the liberal morass at the state level due to the population center (NYC) and its liberal demographic (except with the mayor - at least NYC'ers get that the law and order thing is good for running the city If we could get them on the right page with their Assemblymen....). There are always exceptions to the liberal trends in NY, but I see none this time around.

Blech. I see no light at the end of the tunnel today.

However, I am dining with my dear friend who is the county election commissioner this evening, and whose husband is our local Assemblyman. (She is stressing out about the new machines she had to purchase, hoping they don't break down....like me, she is a mom-lawyer with more than her fair share of smarts but zero technical or mechanical expertise, and she has to personally inspect these new electronic machines if any problems are reported - "What the he** am I gonna do if they break?!? Will their little microchips back to life?") Anyway, always an interesting chatfest, and a good way to get some grass-roots ideas into the hopper in Albany.

Despite all the chaos and paucity of the field, don't forget to VOTE!

2 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

I wish I had understood one single word of that post, so that I could have made some witty political comment!

Unfortunately, I know as much about the American voting system as I do about re-felting a roof. Actually, I'd probably know more about the roof.

gemoftheocean said...

The way I see it, voting buys you bitching rights